A useful tool to recover stolen laptop. It runs on Linux, Android, Mac and also Windows. Let me introduce you to Prey.
As they say :
Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever missing, whether you’re in town or abroad. The free account version allows you to track and recover 3 devices.
Installing Prey on Ubuntu
- if you don’t already have a Prey account, create one
- download ubuntu deb package from Prey download section
- install it by clinking the deb file
- ctrl+alt+t to open a console
- sudo /usr/share/prey/platform/linux/prey-config.py to run the graphic interface (gui)
- once on the gui select reporting mode tab
- click forward
- enter you email and password used to create your Prey account
- select create a new device in my control panel
- check you email and password if you have something else than a succesful creation message
You can now go to your Prey panel to manage setup your laptop recovery.